Scheduling Projects to Repeat
For regularly occurring projects, like those as frequent as daily or as infrequent as yearly, Workzone can automatically schedule repeating projects at the appropriate time. Repeating projects are built from an existing template so you can be sure that processes remain consistent.
IN THIS ARTICLE
Creating a Repeating Project
When adding a new project, select the Use existing template method from the different methods for adding tasks, then chose an existing template from the Select Template dropdown list, and to the right of that, set the start on or end on option and a date:
- Daily scheduled projects can occur every (specified) 1-6 days.
- Weekly scheduled projects can occur every (specified) 1-6 weeks.
- Monthly scheduled projects can either:
- Occur on the selected start/end on date's numbered day, every (specified) 1-11 months.
- Occur on the same day of the week as the start/end on date, counted for the month, every 1-11 months.
- Yearly every year
Iterations of repeating projects will be named with the original project name and the instance’s start date (for example, "Monthly Reporting - Jan 2, 2023"). Care should be taken with the name used for the first, original project, as the name of a repeating project schedule cannot be changed afterwards.
NOTE: Projects that are scheduled for a Monthly frequency cannot have a start on or end on date later than the 28th of the month without being defaulted to the last day of the month, since some months are shorter than others.
Schedule Expirations and Renewal Intervals
- Daily frequency, three months from the Ends date.
- Weekly frequency, 12 months from the Ends date.
- Monthly frequency, 24 months from the Ends date.
- Yearly frequency, 5 years from the Ends date.
Project Creation Timing
- Daily frequency projects are created overnight for the next day.
- Weekly frequency projects are created three work days (distinguishing between a 5-day or 7-day workweek) prior.
- Monthly frequency projects are one calendar week prior.
- Yearly frequency projects are created three calendar months prior.
NOTE: Daily starting/ending projects will not be created on specified Holidays and Non-Working days, as well as on weekends on a 5-day workweek.
Managing Pending Scheduled Projects
- Daily frequencies, one week prior.
- Weekly frequencies, two weeks prior.
- Monthly frequencies, one month prior.
- Yearly frequencies, three months prior.
An email is also sent if a repeating project status changes to ERROR. Repeating projects can error for several reasons. Please reach out to support should an issue arise.
Every pending scheduled project is represented on the designated Repeating Projects report, found in the Reports area, under the PROJECTS section on the left column. Here's an example:
A template that is used in a repeating project cannot be deleted until the repeating project schedule is deleted from the report.
NOTE: If the destination workspace for a repeated project already has over 2000 tasks, the next scheduled instance of a repeating project will not get created, and the repeating schedule will be paused with an email notification sent.
Project Duration Maximums
- Daily frequency projects can be no more than one week (depending on 5 or 7 day workweek) in duration.
- Weekly frequency projects can be no more than four weeks (if workweek is 7 days) in duration.
- Monthly frequency projects can be no more than 180 days in duration.
- Yearly frequency projects can be no more than 730 days.
Task Count Limitations
- Daily frequency projects are limited to 25 tasks.
- Weekly frequency projects are limited to 100 tasks.
- Monthly frequency projects are limited to 200 tasks.
- Yearly frequency projects are limited to 500 tasks.
NOTE: If a pending project's creation template grows beyond the limits above, upon the next instance creation, the Status for that project's repeating schedule will be set to ERROR on the Repeating Projects report.